Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
From "The North End Italian" cookbook. This is meant to go with The North End Italian Marinara Sauce, but a good jarred marinara would work. You can make your own cutlets by pounding boneless, skinless chicken breasts into thin pieces.
- 2 eggs
- salt and pepper
- 3 cups breadcrumbs, more if needed
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
CUTLETS AND TOPPINGS
- 1 lb chicken cutlet
- olive oil (for frying)
- 2 cups marinara sauce
- 4 -8 slices mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- EGG WASH: In a medium bowl, beat eggs with salt and pepper.
- BREAD COATING: In a semi flat dish, mix bread crumbs, grated cheese and parsley.
- TO COAT CUTLETS: Dip cutlets in egg wash.
- Roll in bread crumbs, bearing down to allow bread to stick to the chicken.
- Place on a platter and let rest for about 10 minutes.
- FRYING: Heat olive oil on medium heat in a large heavy skillet.
- When oil is hot, add the chicken cutlets without crowding.
- Lower the heat and cook until well browned on both sides, turning only once.
- Continue until all the cutlets are cooked, adjusting heat so that the chicken is always sizzling, but not burning.
- BAKING: Place the chicken cutlets, in one layer, on a shallow baking pan.
- Top each cutlet with a spoonful of marinara and a thin slice of mozzarella.
- Bake in the 350F oven for 15 minutes or until mozzarella turns golden brown and cutlet are cooked.
- Serve immediately with extra sauce.