Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 25 mins
This is my variation of breakfast casserole. Can you have too many? My family loves this recipe because it includes potatoes, while I pretend that it makes it lower in calories without bread cubes and eat lots more toast!
- 8 frozen hash brown patties
- 2 cups cubed ham or 2 cups crumbed bacon or 2 cups browned sausage
- 2 cups shredded cheese, divided
- 2 cups milk
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- Place potato patties in a 9 x 13 inch baking pan coated with nonstick cooking spray.
- Top with ham, bacon, sausage or any combination, and sprinkle with 1 1/2 cups of shredded cheese.
- Combine milk, soup, eggs, mustard and pepper; pour over cheese.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking.
- Bake covered at 350 degrees for 1 hour.
- Uncover and sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup shredded cheese.
- Bake 20-25 minutes longer or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
This was good overall, but a little bland for our tastes. It worked out well, though, since the sweet rolls we had with this were so rich. I made this with ham for Christmas breakfast and prepared it Dec 23 since I knew Christmas Eve was going to be very busy. It held up wonderfully in the fridge until time to bake on Christmas morning. I actually baked it 1 hour at home while we got ready (which firmed it up well for transporting in the car) and then finished up with the additional cheese and 30 minutes of baking when we arrived at my grandparents' house to eat with the family. Next time I will use bacon and mix it, a little salt, the cheese and the potatoes together before pouring the soup and egg mixture over it. I think that will help distribute the flavors throughout the dish.