Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
The origin of the Reuben sandwich is disputed. However, the sandwich is strongly associated with New York City delicatessens--hence, the name.
- To make the dressing: combine all the dressing ingredients together, mixing well.
- Store, covered, in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- To make the sandwich: Butter one side of each slice of bread.
- Put the first slice, buttered side down, in a large skillet.
- Pile on the slices of corned beef and swiss cheese; spread with approximately 1 tablespoon dressing, and add the sauerkraut.
- Top with the other slice of bread, buttered side up.
- Cover and grill slowly over low heat for 5 minutes or until the bread is golden brown.
- Uncover, turn the sandwich over, increase heat to medium-high; grill until golden brown on the second side.
- Cut sandwich in half and serve immediately with kosher dills or "half sours" (partially dilled pickles).