Prep 5 mins
Cook 2 mins
BLTs are favorites in our home, but we have learned to lighten them up. This adaptation of the traditional favorite doesn't lose any of the flavor of the original, and tastes sensational. This came from Dr. Phil McGraw's The Ultimate Weight Solution Cookbook. Enjoy!
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard or 2 tablespoons whole grain mustard
- 2 tablespoons Miracle Whip or 2 tablespoons mayonnaise (you may add 1 drop vinegar, 1 tiny pinch sugar to regular mayo)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon maple extract
- 8 slices vegetarian bacon or 8 slices turkey bacon
- 8 slices whole grain bread, toasted
- 4 leaves romaine lettuce or 4 leaves red-leaf lettuce, cut in half
- 1 large tomatoes, cut into 8 rounds
- Combine the mustard, Miracle Whip, and maple extract in a small bowl and set aside.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the bacon and cook until crisp, turning once, about 2 minutes.
- Drain on a plate lined with paper towels.
- Spread 1/4 of the mustard mixture over each of the 4 slices of toast.
- Top each with 2 strips of bacon, 2 lettuce leaf halves, and 2 slices of tomato, then second piece of toast.
- Serve at once.
- This is also good topped with sprouts.
- If you want to save a bread serving for another time of day, you can make this sandwich open-faced, with only 1 slice of whole grain bread as the base.
- Note 2:.
- For a packed lunch, keep all the ingredients separate until you're ready to eat so that the bread doesn't get soggy.
Great sandwich. I've been making these with turkey bacon for a long time now. I cook the bacon in the microwave wrapped with paper towels and it comes out perfect crisp without a drop of fat on it. You just can't go wrong, this made a very yummy lunch today.
Great sandwich! We always use turkey bacon and like it crispy so it worked well for this recipe. Loved the mixture of dijon mustard, mayo, and maple extract! Put this together on 7 grain bread with romaine lettuce and enjoyed! Thank you Sharon for another great recipe!
This is a different and interesting and VERY GOOD but I'm not sure this will replace my "old" BLT. It made way more "sauce" than I needed for one sammich, so I saved the other for the next time, and there will be a next time. Thanks, sharon, for a new treat.