Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
From Gina and Pat Neely on Food Network. I saw them make this on Down Home with the Neely's and had to try it out. They're great! Gina made an orange dipping sauce but I just eat them plain, or with Ranch dressing or tartar sauce.
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 3⁄4 cup self-rising flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 small sweet onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 jalapeno pepper, finely chopped
- Preheat a deep fryer to 375.
- Mix all ingredients together. Using 2 teaspoons, carefully drop about teaspoonful of dough into hot oil. Fry 3 to 4 minutes, turning hush puppy over to brown both sides.
- Remove from oil when brown on both sides and drain on paper towels.
- Repeat with remaining batter. Don't fry to many hush puppies at one time.