Prep 13 hrs
Cook 45 mins
Delicious, homestyle southern chicken. Zippy, tangy, crunchy- what's not to love? I posted this recipe because I wanted the nutritional content, it came from Food Network's "Down Home with the Neelys."
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1⁄2 fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- 1⁄2 yellow onion, sliced
- 5 sprigs fresh thyme
- 3 garlic cloves, smashed
- salt and black pepper
- 3 lbs chicken, cut into 8 pieces rinsed and patted dry
- 2 cups crushed corn flakes
- 3⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Fit a sheet tray with a wire rack and spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- Mix together buttermilk, lemon juice, hot sauce, onion, thyme, garlic, salt, and pepper to a large bowl. Add chicken and coat with mixture. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator for 3 hours or up 12 hours.
- Mix corn flakes, Parmesan cheese, and thyme together. Season with salt and pepper.
- Remove chicken from the marinade, letting the excess drip off, and dredge through the corn flake-Parmesan mixture, pressing to help it adhere.
- Place on the wire rack-fitted sheet tray and bake for 45 minutes until golden and crisp.
- Cook's Note: Remove the skin to save calories. Soaking chicken in buttermilk leaves the chicken incredibly moist with a delicious flavor.
Great recipe! I like the fact that it contains no added fat. The buttermilk gives it a nice moist and tender texture and the corn flakes add just the right amount of crispness. I cut the amount of Parmesan cheese to 1/3 cup to suit our personal taste, but otherwise followed the directions given. We will definitely have this dish again.