1/5 Photos of The Naughty Things I Do for Chicken Tortilla Soup
Pot Scrubber's Note:
El Fenix Restaurant is a Dallas institution open since 1913. I had my first job waiting tables there and had a bowl of this soup everyday. I won't bother you with the details of what I had to do to get this coveted recipe out of temperamental Chef Jorge... but it is illegal in about half of the states.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 14 1/2 ounces canned tomatoes, undrained
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons cilantro or 2 tablespoons parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- salt and pepper
- Tabasco sauce
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 2 chicken breasts, boiled, deboned and cubed
- 2 cups monterey jack cheese, cubed
- 2 medium avocados, cubed
- tortilla chips
- 1In blender combine undrained tomatoes, onion, garlic, cilantro and sugar.
- 2Pulse in blender until chunky.
- 3In large saucepan, add vegetable mixture and chicken broth and chicken pieces.
- 4Simmer 20 minutes, season to taste.
- 5To serve:.
- 6Place cheese, avocado, and broken chips on bottom of bowl. Pour very hot soup over this in bowl. Sprinkle with fresh green onion tops and cilantro/parsley.
- 7Sprinkle with lime juice, if desired.
Browse Our Top Very Low Carbs Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Very Low Carbs Recipes
Nutritional Facts for The Naughty Things I Do for Chicken Tortilla Soup
Serving Size: 1 (477 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 575.7
- Calories from Fat 364
- Total Fat 40.4 g
- Saturated Fat 15.3 g
- Cholesterol 96.6 mg
- Sodium 1437.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.2 g
- Sugars 5.7 g
- Protein 38.2 g