Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
I didn't find any recipes on here that completely tickled my fancy! I used to watch the kitchen staff make the olive dressing and make the sandwiches where I worked on Decatur. We were two blocks from Central Grocery and I knew people who worked in the kitchen there also. SO I would say that this recipe, after looking online and giving credit where it's due to NolaCuisine.com and gumbopages.com (to remind me what HAD to go in, and what didn't belong)- I've devised a recipe that's as close as possible to what's the REAL deal! Prep time does not include 2-3 days store time for olive salad.
- 1 1⁄2 cups pimento-stuffed green olives, drained
- 3⁄4 cup black olives, drained and lightly chopped
- 1 cup italian pickled vegetables (Gardiniera)
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 1⁄4 cup celery, chopped small
- 1⁄4 cup baby carrots, chopped small
- 2 large fresh garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 (12 ounce) jar cocktail onions, drained
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh flat-leaf Italian parsley, finely chopped
- 1 (12 ounce) jar pepperoncini peppers, drained and roughly chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups extra virgin olive oil (use the GOOD stuff)
- 4 loaves Italian bread (with toasted sesame seeds on top) or 4 loaves muffuletta bread
- 1 lb ham, thinly sliced
- 1 lb mortadella, thinly sliced
- 1 lb hard genoa salami, thinly sliced
- 1 lb swiss cheese, thinly sliced
- 1 lb provolone cheese, thinly sliced
- Combined green olives, black olives, Gardiniera salad, capers, celery, carrots, garlic, red pepper flakes, cocktail onions, oregano, parsley and pepperoncini, salt, pepper and extra virgin olive oil.
- Store in gallon jug for 2-3 days in fridge.
- Cut your Italian bread length wise in half.
- Layer 1/4 Lb ham, mortadella, salami, Swiss cheese and provolone cheese on the bottom half of bread.
- Stir the olive salad, and scoop a cup to place over top half of bread.
- Quickly pair the bottom layer with the top layer and cut into 1/4 's.
- Serve 2 1/4s per person.
- Servings #s are for number of sandwiches that can be made, not the amount of olive salad servings. You will probably have some olive salad left over.