Prep 15 mins
Cook 12 mins
Moist and wonderful!
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup sugar
- 10 tablespoons I Can't Believe It's Not Butter® Spread
- 3 eggs, well beaten
- 2 cups grated carrots
- 2 large tart apples, peeled and grated
- 1 cup raisins, soaked in warm water 20-30 minutes
- 1⁄2 cup almonds, sliced thin
- Mix the flour, baking soda and cinnamon in a large bowl.
- In a separate large bowl cream sugar, I can't believe its not butter and eggs.
- Add the grated carrots, grated apples, raisins and almonds to the sugar, butter and egg mixture and then add to the flour mixture.
- Bake at 350 degrees for approximately 12 minutes or until medium golden brown.
I really enjoyed this recipe. I substituted walnuts for almonds and found it tasted great. The only problem I found was that the cooking time wasn't right (maybe I did something wrong). I found I had to cook them for almost 25 minutes before the toothpick came out clean. Was delicious though!
I love carrot cake, so I was really looking forward to trying these muffins, but unfortunately the result wasn't what I'd been hoping for... As others noted below, there is definitely something funny about the timing. The reason, as far as I can tell, is that there is just too much liquid for the amount of flour. I made everything exactly as in the recipe, and it yielded so much batter that I ended up making a loaf in addition to the 12 muffins. The two tins together took well over 2 hours to bake -- the muffins alone would have taken about an hour, I guess. Also there was too much raising power for the amount of flour, and so the whole thing bubbled like crazy but there was nothing to hold the rise because of all the liquid. The resulting texture was a bit crumbly and gummy for my taste, although the taste was fine. If I was making this again, I'd halve the amount of apple and carrot, and up the flour a bit. It might also be worth trying this with almond meal instead of the flaked almonds, as that would improve the texture and also help the liquid problem to some extent.
Excellent. I added flaxseed instead of almonds. I also needed to bake for about 25mins and had to use muffin liners, otherwise the muffins stuck to the pan. Thanks for the recipe!