This is a Mexican appetizer that is addicting. When it is completed, it looks like a snowy mountain, thus the name. It is a large appetizer that works great for parties. This does not include time for chilling. I got this from my friend Karen when I lived in California. Update (5/31/2013): I realized after a recent review and myself also making this recipe for a Memorial Day cookout, that I make my own changes to the recipe that I didn't add/edit original recipe when posting, so I have now added corrections to the onion/tomato mixture and amounts of cheese.
- 2 large tomatoes, diced
- 1 onion, minced
- 1⁄2 lb monterey jack cheese, shredded or 2 cups monterey jack cheese
- 1⁄2 lb cheddar cheese, shredded or 2 cups cheddar cheese
- 1 (4 ounce) can green chilies, diced
- 2 avocados
- lemon juice
- 1 (16 ounce) container sour cream
- 1 (1 ounce) package hidden valley ranch dressing mix
- tortilla chips
- Cut the tomatoes and remove any juice and the seeds, only using the remaining tomato flesh, otherwise, this will be a watery base.
- Mix together tomatoes, onion and use as the bottom layer, shape into a hill.
- Then add the cheeses from the bottom and all the way to the top evenly.
- Take the pit out of avocados and scoop out the inside of them and put in a bowl. Add some lemon juice and mix(mash) into a spreadable mixture, now add the can of diced green chilies and mix thoroughly. Then spread this evenly over your hill.
- Mix the hidden valley ranch mix with the sour cream and spread evenly over the green chilies.
- Chill at least two hours. Serve with plain tortilla chips (I use the scoops) and watch it disappear!