1/4 Photos of The Mountain
This is a Mexican appetizer that is addicting. When it is completed, it looks like a snowy mountain, thus the name. It is a large appetizer that works great for parties. This does not include time for chilling. I got this from my friend Karen when I lived in California. Update (5/31/2013): I realized after a recent review and myself also making this recipe for a Memorial Day cookout, that I make my own changes to the recipe that I didn't add/edit original recipe when posting, so I have now added corrections to the onion/tomato mixture and amounts of cheese.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 large tomatoes, diced
- 1 onion, minced
- 1/2 lb monterey jack cheese, shredded or 2 cups monterey jack cheese
- 1/2 lb cheddar cheese, shredded or 2 cups cheddar cheese
- 1 (4 ounce) can green chilies, diced
- 2 avocados
- lemon juice
- 1 (16 ounce) container sour cream
- 1 (1 ounce) package hidden valley ranch dressing mix
- tortilla chips
- 1Cut the tomatoes and remove any juice and the seeds, only using the remaining tomato flesh, otherwise, this will be a watery base.
- 2Mix together tomatoes, onion and use as the bottom layer, shape into a hill.
- 3Then add the cheeses from the bottom and all the way to the top evenly.
- 4Take the pit out of avocados and scoop out the inside of them and put in a bowl. Add some lemon juice and mix(mash) into a spreadable mixture, now add the can of diced green chilies and mix thoroughly. Then spread this evenly over your hill.
- 5Mix the hidden valley ranch mix with the sour cream and spread evenly over the green chilies.
- 6Chill at least two hours. Serve with plain tortilla chips (I use the scoops) and watch it disappear!
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for The Mountain
Serving Size: 1 (140 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 290.6
- Calories from Fat 224
- Total Fat 24.8 g
- Saturated Fat 12.9 g
- Cholesterol 57.5 mg
- Sodium 256.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 7.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.9 g
- Sugars 3.4 g
- Protein 11.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
hidden valley ranch dressing mix