This is a Mexican appetizer that is addicting. When it is completed, it looks like a snowy mountain, thus the name. It is a large appetizer that works great for parties. This does not include time for chilling. I got this from my friend Karen when I lived in California. Update (5/31/2013): I realized after a recent review and myself also making this recipe for a Memorial Day cookout, that I make my own changes to the recipe that I didn't add/edit original recipe when posting, so I have now added corrections to the onion/tomato mixture and amounts of cheese.
- 2 large tomatoes, diced
- 1 onion, minced
- 1⁄2 lb monterey jack cheese, shredded or 2 cups monterey jack cheese
- 1⁄2 lb cheddar cheese, shredded or 2 cups cheddar cheese
- 1 (4 ounce) can green chilies, diced
- 2 avocados
- lemon juice
- 1 (16 ounce) container sour cream
- 1 (1 ounce) package hidden valley ranch dressing mix
- tortilla chips
- Cut the tomatoes and remove any juice and the seeds, only using the remaining tomato flesh, otherwise, this will be a watery base.
- Mix together tomatoes, onion and use as the bottom layer, shape into a hill.
- Then add the cheeses from the bottom and all the way to the top evenly.
- Take the pit out of avocados and scoop out the inside of them and put in a bowl. Add some lemon juice and mix(mash) into a spreadable mixture, now add the can of diced green chilies and mix thoroughly. Then spread this evenly over your hill.
- Mix the hidden valley ranch mix with the sour cream and spread evenly over the green chilies.
- Chill at least two hours. Serve with plain tortilla chips (I use the scoops) and watch it disappear!
I cannot believe I forgot to get a photo of this, it was so awesome with great flavors. I'd never heard of anything like it before but decided to add it to our 4th of July party and it was a hit with everyone. I followed another reviewers suggestions on putting together in a pyrex bowl - then layering and it not only tasted great but looked so impressive. I think I might even use a tomatillo and maybe a jalapeno to the mix next time.
As an update, I had the company over again and decided to repeat this awesome recipe just so I could get a picture. It was again a hit with everyone.
Five stars plus ! This is great stuff... I subbed 1.5 lb low fat Cheese Blend (Sargento's brand) for the two seperate cheeses. I also used a fat free Sour Cream. Otherwise I followed exactly. Presentation notes- I placed a large pyrex bowl over this as it chilled in the fridge. I also may try this 1/2 at a time and make two smaller mountains. I may have to double the recipe and make four smaller mountains! It disappeared at our Super Bowl party and DH was asking for more. Thanks for the keeper. This is going in my Zaar Super Stars cook book. Thank you for sharing it.
I prepared this for a Memorial Day gathering and was really not impressed. It was watery and I found that it didn't have much flavor and it was difficult to serve. Me and my guests much prefer a good ole Seven Layer Dip to this. Sorry...the other reviews were such raves, it just didn't meet my expectations.