1/61 Photos of The Most Wonderful Gingerbread Cookies
2 hrs 23 mins
2 hrs 15 mins
gingerkitten D's Note:
This is my very favorite gingerbread cookie recipe. The dough is so firm and nice to work with and is so wonderful smelling that it is almost like a stress reliever. These disappear in lightning speed in my house! This recipe is adapted from a recipe in the Joy of Cooking and according to the entry they only have 3 grams of fat per cookie! If you want crisp cookies roll out very thin. Thicker cookies = softer cookies, thinner cookies= crisper cookies. If the dough is too sticky, chilling should help. **I noticed a lot of people have been having some sticky dough issues. You need to make sure you let the dough rest at LEAST two hours. For some reason this helps make the dough more workable. I live in FL and we have terrible humidity, but I have never had a problem with sticky dough in this recipe.
My Private Note
5inch t ...
Units: US | Metric
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 3/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest (optional)
- 1In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, ginger, cinnamon, and cloves until well blended.
- 2In a large bowl (KitchenAid's great for this) beat butter, brown sugar, and egg on medium speed until well blended.
- 3Add molasses, vanilla, and lemon zest and continue to mix until well blended.
- 4Gradually stir in dry ingredients until blended and smooth.
- 5Divide dough in half and wrap each half in plastic and let stand at room temperature for at least 2 hours or up to 8 hours.
- 6Preheat oven to 375 deg. Prepare baking sheets by lining with parchment paper.
- 7(Dough can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 4 days, but in this case it should be refrigerated. Return to room temp before using.) Preheat oven to 375°.
- 8Grease or line cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- 9Place 1 portion of the dough on a lightly floured surface.
- 10Sprinkle flour over dough and rolling pin.
- 11Roll dough to a scant 1/4-inch thick.
- 12Use additional flour to avoid sticking.
- 13Cut out cookies with desired cutter-- the ginger bread man is our favorite of course.
- 14Space cookies 1 1/2-inches apart.
- 15Bake 1 sheet at a time for 7-10 minutes (the lower time will give you softer cookies-- very good!).
- 16Remove cookie sheet from oven and allow the cookies to stand until the cookies are firm enough to move to a wire rack.
- 17After cookies are cool you may decorate them any way you like.
- 18I usually brush them with a powdered sugar glaze when I am in a hurry, but they look wonderful decorated with Royal icing.
Browse Our Top Rolled Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for The Most Wonderful Gingerbread Cookies
Serving Size: 1 (876 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 134.2
- Calories from Fat 29
- Total Fat 3.2 g
- Saturated Fat 1.9 g
- Cholesterol 15.3 mg
- Sodium 94.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.5 g
- Sugars 10.6 g
- Protein 1.9 g