Prep 45 mins
Cook 4 hrs 30 mins
This is THE favourite holiday turkey, tender as butter. Another classic Bon Appetit recipe from Nov 1994, one of the first Bon Appetit magazines I ever bought !!
- 20 lbs fresh whole turkey
- 1 cup finely chopped celery
- 1 cup finely chopped carrot
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 cups Chardonnay wine or 2 cups apple juice
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 6 tablespoons butter, if you make gravy
- 6 tablespoons flour, if you make gravy
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- fresh thyme, finely chopped (1 pkg)
- fresh sage, finely chopped (1 pkg)
- fresh rosemary, finely chopped (1 pkg)
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- Note: If your turkey is 15 lbs or less reduce the ingredients by half EXCEPT the wine/apple juice and chicken broth - make it 1.5 cups. Cooking time and oven temperature can vary. In my oven it is approximately 4 hours at a slightly higher heat. If turkey is cooked early carve and then use broth to keep it moist if keeping warm while rest of dinner is prepared.
- Combine the oil, 2 Tablespoons herbs, 2 Tablespoons garlic in a bowl, let stand for one hour or make one day ahead and refrigerate. The remainder of herbs go well in the stuffing.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. (In my oven it is 350 degrees).
- In a large roasting pan add carrots, celery and onions.
- Rub herb/oil mixture over turkey pieces, season with salt and pepper, add to roasting pan on top of vegetables.
- Pour wine and chicken broth around turkey in pan.
- The liquid will expand with cooking so when you remove from oven the pan will be quite full and needs to be removed carefully. A large roasting pan is optimal (I have a Kitchen Aid).
- Add less liquid if you do not want as much turkey broth or easier removal from oven once cooked. I use it for the stuffing and always use this amount.
- Bake uncovered until turkey is a nice golden brown. Baste every 30 minutes, turn the pan after each basting for even cooking. Cover with foil for the remainder of cooking time once turkey is browned. (Cooking time is dependent on the size of your turkey).
- Once done remove turkey onto cutting board and cover with foil for 30 minutes. Then carve and and add to turkey platter.
- Strain pan juices. Spoon the fat off. I use the turkey broth to add to the stuffing which I bake on the side.
- To make gravy measure 6 cups of broth in total. Adding chicken broth if required.
- Melt 6 tbsp butter & mix in 6 tbsp flour until blended, gradually whisk in pan juices, boil and then simmer gravy until thickened.