Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 5 mins
I came up with this after trying to duplicate lasagna I fell in love with at a Christmas party. I had some of the details/ingredients, but not the exact recipe. If you don't like ricotta cheese, like a creamy lasagna or just want to try something different, give this a whirl! PLEASE don't substitute anything...it just won't come out the same.
- 9 ounces barilla no-boil lasagna noodles
- 8 -12 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 cup parmesan cheese (freshly grated or shaved)
- 2 (28 ounce) jarsfrancesco rinaldi ultra dolce spaghetti sauce (also known as "Sweet and Tasty Tomato", you will have about 1/2 jar leftover)
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 4 1⁄2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 cups whole milk
- salt and pepper
- Make the Bechamel Sauce:.
- Heat the cream and milk in the microwave until it is hot, but not boiling.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the flour and cook, whisking constantly, until the mixture begins to bubble, about 2 minutes.
- Gradually stir in the hot cream and milk. Continue to cook, whisking constantly, until the sauce comes to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, continuing to whisk, 2 to 3 minutes longer, or until fairly thick. Season to taste with nutmeg, salt and pepper. (I use about 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper).
- Directions for Assembling the Lasagna:.
- In a deep lasagna pan begin layering with thin layer of red sauce.
- Add first layer of pasta (4 sheets) on top.
- Then add layer of red sauce (about 1 cup) and béchamel sauce (about 1 cup). Sprinkle parmesan on top. Then layer a third of the mozzarella.
- Add second layer of pasta (4 sheets) on top.
- Then add another layer of red sauce (about 1 cup) and béchamel sauce (about 1 cup). Sprinkle parmesan on top. Then layer a third of the mozzarella.
- Add third layer of pasta (4 sheets) on top.
- Then add another layer of red sauce (about 1 cup) and remaining béchamel sauce. Sprinkle parmesan on top. Then layer remaining mozzarella.
- Add fourth and final layer of pasta (4 sheets) on top. Then top with red sauce and sprinkle with remaining parmesan.
- Cover top of lasagna dish with cover or foil.
- Place assembled lasagna dish into oven for 50 minutes at 375 degrees. Remove cover and bake for another 5 - 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to settle for about 15-20 minutes before serving.
Only substitution we made was to use Prego meat sauce (we like meat in our lasagne). TOTALLY CREAMY AND WONDERFUL!!!!! ...and very easy to make.
EASY and DIFFERENT. If you are tired of the same old cottage cheese/ricotta mixture, TRY THIS. I couldn't believe how quickly it came together! I didn't have any nutmeg, so I omitted it, but the rest was so rich and creamy. Let me say, though, that the leftovers were even better b/c it gave the flavors a chance to blend even more, making it a little less "sweet". Def. will make again! Thank you!
This is the perfect kid friendly lasagna - my girls thank you for no meat, no onions and no chunky tomatoes. Will make again.