Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
From a local community cookbook; family favorite,
Top Review by bunkie68
I made this for a potluck, and it was a big hit! When I mixed all the ingredients together, it looked like it might turn out to be a bit dry, but it had lots of sauce and a great flavor. I made a few modifications. I used one can of cream of chicken soup and two cans of cream of mushroom. I left out the green bell pepper and added a can of Rotel. And I added some shredded mozzarella because I didn't have quite enough shredded cheddar. It was scrumptious and pretty easy - the hardest thing was boiling and cutting up the chicken (and that's not hard, just tedious). My husband even liked it, and he's not a big fan of chicken or casseroles! I'll definitely make this again.
- 8 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- salt and pepper
- 1 (12 ounce) package thin spaghetti
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 3 (10 1/2 ounce) cans cream of chicken soup
- 2 (4 1/2 ounce) jars sliced mushrooms
- 1⁄2 lb shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 lb shredded Velveeta cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large Dutch oven, fill 1/2 full with water; add salt and pepper if desired; add chicken breast halves.
- Bring to a boil; cover and reduce heat; simmer 1 hour or until chicken breasts are done.
- Remove chicken breasts, reserving broth, and allow chicken to cool; chop chicken meat into bite-size pieces and set aside.
- Return chicken broth to a boil; add spaghetti noodles and cook until desired doneness; drain and set aside.
- Saute onion and green pepper in butter until tender.
- Combine onion mixture, cream of chicken soup, mushrooms, and cheeses; mix well.
- Add spaghetti and chopped chicken; mix well.
- Pour into a lightly greased 13x9 inch baking dish.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 45 minutes.