Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
On the west banks of the Nile, naw just kidding This recipe is so easy, healthy, and well so darned good you will be forced to make it time and time again.
- 1 (12 ounce) bag tortilla chips, low fat
- 2 lbs extra lean ground beef
- 1 large tomatoes, chopped 1/4 inch chunks
- 1 medium onion, chopped 1/4 inch chunks
- 1 (2 1/4 ounce) cansliced green olives
- 1 (2 1/4 ounce) cansliced black olives
- 1⁄2 cup coarsely chopped mushroom
- 0.5 (8 ounce) container light sour cream (more for the light hearty)
- Trappey's jalapenos (the most important Ingredient, not only do they have heat but the best tasting jalapeno's I have eve)
- 1 (16 ounce) can fat-free refried beans
- 3 (1 ounce) packages Ortega taco seasoning
- 2 cups water
- 1 (1 ounce) canchopped green chili
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped (may omit)
- 1 (12 ounce) jar Ortega medium cheese sauce (warmed)
- 1⁄4 head medium chopped lettuce
- Brown the beef in large skillet and drain (in colander rinsing with hot water if possible to reduce fat intake).
- Return to skillet with water, beans, taco seasoning, onion and green chilies.
- Cook until everything is mixed well under medium-low heat stirring often until a low boil is achieved.
- Reduce heat cover and simmer 10 minutes stirring every couple minutes.
- The construction.
- On a large plate cover with tortilla chips and dollop generous portions of the meat mixture on chips.
- Now pour over WARMED cheese sauce.
- Top with the lettuce next, then what ever order you want of the other veggies except the JP's.
- Then add the JP's AS MUCH AS YOU CAN MUSTER YEA!
- A couple dollops of sour cream and you are ready for a very filling, spicy treat that you will not forget--EVER.
- You should also consider topping with some of my guacamole.
- You are welcome.
made this last night. really good nachos! i did it just like the recipe, except i left out the olives, just because we don't care for them. really tasty. a lot of ingredients, but a nice dish.
Very good recipe with the exception of the cheese. All I could find was Tostitos Con Queso. Perhaps next time I will use Velveeta.
Excellent nachos! Couldn't find the recommended Trappey's jalapenos, Ortega taco seasoning and Ortega cheese sauce. I substituted fresh jalapenos, my homemade taco seasoning and shredded queso anejo. I used the microwave to melt the cheese on the meat-topped chips. This is a very good meat sauce for nachos. I did find it a little soupy so I let it simmer another 10 minutes uncovered. Dh ate enough for a small army.