Prep 45 mins
Cook 15 mins
Great recipe, people will come back for seconds and there are never any leftovers. This dish is great right out of the oven or right out of the refrigerator.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Beat egg whites until soft peaks form.
- Add the vanilla extract and cream of tartar.
- Add the sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time.
- Continue to beat on high speed until hard peaks are formed.
- Banana Pudding:.
- Combine sugar, flour and salt in a bowl and set aside.
- In a saucepan, beat the egg yolks.
- Over medium high heat, add the milk, vanilla extract and the flour mixture to the beaten eggs.
- Keep stirring constantly until it turns into a pudding like consistency. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a large casserole dish, line the bottom with vanilla wafers.
- Slice the bananas and put half of the sliced bananas in a single layer on top of vanilla wafers.
- Add half the pudding on top of the vanilla wafers and bananas and spread evenly.
- Add more vanilla wafers in a single layer on top of pudding.
- Add the rest of the bananas on top of the vanilla wafers.
- Add the remaining pudding mixture and spread out evenly.
- Top with the meringue and spread out evenly.
- Bake 12-15 minutes until the meringue turns golden brown.