Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
This macaroni and cheese is TO DIE FOR. People inhale it and drool over it as it's cooking, the aroma fills the whole house. Once it's on the table, it's gone in 3 seconds flat. It's pretty much AMAZING, if I do say so myself. DON'T skip any steps or substitute any of the ingredients, you have to make it just as it is for it to be amazing. NOT for the faint of heart! Quite an indulgence (look at the ingredients), but it's COMPLETELY worth it. It's the only way to make macaroni and cheese.
- 2 lbs macaroni
- 12 eggs
- 1 cup cubed Velveeta cheese
- 1 cup butter, melted
- 6 cups half-and-half
- 4 cups sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 cups extra-sharp white cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 1⁄2 cups mozzarella cheese, grated
- 1 1⁄2 cups asiago cheese, grated
- 1 cup gruyere cheese, grated
- 1 cup monterey jack cheese, grated
- 1 cup muenster cheese, grated
- 1 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 cup Velveeta cheese, cubed
- 1⁄4 cup goat cheese (adds a kick) (optional)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 pinch mustard
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Cook macaroni according to package directions, al dente. Drain and set aside.
- Whisk eggs together in big bowl until frothy. Add Velveeta, butter, and 2 cups of the half-and-half.
- Add warm macaroni, mix until smooth.
- Add rest of half-and-half, 3 cups sharp yellow Cheddar cheese, the rest of the various cheeses, salt, and pepper, tossing together.
- Pour into greased 9 x 13 inch casserole dish, and bake for 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle with the remaining 1 cup of sharp yellow cheddar cheese and bake about 30 minutes more, until golden brown. If you want, you could dot the top with a few tiny pieces of butter, just to help it brown more.
- Serve hot. Enjoy!
Good grief. There must be at least $50 worth of ingredients in this. Mac and cheese is supposed to be economical to make.
It sounds amazing, but I'm wondering if all those ingredients would fit inside one 9x13-inch pan. It seems like you would need at least two pans.