Recipe by twissis
Found at the biggirlssmallkitchen website, this easy-fix & sure-to-be-tasty sandwich was featured by Kelsey Brown in a “Brown Baggin’ It” article primarily directed at college students & the working masses who dine in “Break Rooms” more often than not. Kelsey said: “Make your fellow students or co-workers jealous when they’re unwrapping their frozen “diet” entrées & you whip out this fresh, light & flavorful Moroccan Chicken Salad Sandwich in Pita Bread.” Do not be intimidated by what may appear to be a complex set of ingredients. The ingredients are simple & the rest is a matter of spicing. Ingredient prep & assembly time was estimated. There was no cook time since the recipe begins w/pre-cooked chicken. Enjoy!
Top Review by jenniferturner
We really like these pita sandwiches. They are good to make and keep in the refrigerator for lunch. My family doesn't like the olives so I leave them out. Instead of using mayonnaise I buy hummus to spread on the insides of the pita and it gives it that extra something.
- 946.36 ml cooked chicken (pre-cooked & shredded)
- 1 small sweet onion, chopped
- 118.29 ml fresh parsley, chopped
- 118.29 ml of fresh mint, chopped
- 118.29 ml black olives, halved
- 118.29 ml raisins, chopped
- 118.29 ml orange juice
- 59.14 ml olive oil
- 2.46 ml garlic, minced
- 14.79 ml cumin
- 9.85 ml cinnamon
- 4.92 ml coriander
- 2.46 ml cayenne pepper
- salt & pepper (to taste)
- 3 whole wheat pita bread
- 44.37 ml mayonnaise or 44.37 ml avocados, may be used
- 709.77 ml romaine lettuce (chopped & may use mixed greens)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a med-sized bowl, combine chicken w/onion, herbs, olives & raisins. In a larger bowl, combine orange juice w/olive oil, garlic & spices. Stir vigorously.
- Add chicken mixture to the liquids & stir to coat. Do a taste test. If too dry or not enough “kick”, adjust spices &/or olive oil to taste.
- Cut 1 pita bread round down the middle & open gently to fill. Smear inside walls w/mayo (or avocado) & stuff lightly w/lettuce. Fill ea of the 2 pita halves w/approx 1/6 of the chicken mixture & wrap them in foil. 2/3 of the meat mixture should be left for 2 more dys of pita sandwiches.