Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
Recipe courtesy, The Mooring Restaurant. You can use more or less half and half to suit your taste.
- 1⁄2 cup salted butter
- 3 cups diced onions
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 quart minced sea clam
- 1 1⁄2 quarts natural clam juice
- 1 1⁄2 quarts half-and-half
- 1 lb diced peeled potato
- 1 dash spanish paprika
- Make roux by melting butter over medium-low heat in a 1 1/2 gallon heavy stockpot.
- Add onions and saute until translucent.
- Reduce heat to low, add flour, and stir to blend.
- Cook for 2 to 4 minutes over low heat, stirring frequently.
- Set aside to cool.
- Make stock. In a separate pot, bring to a boil the clams and natural clam juice.
- Reduce the heat and let simmer for 15 to 20 minutes.
- In another large pot, cover potatoes with cold water.
- Bring to a boil and cook until soft.
- Drain and set aside.
- Add the hot stock to the cooled roux and whisk thoroughly until smooth.
- Slowly bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and add cooked potatoes.
- Whisk in half-and-half, being careful not to smash potatoes.
- Simmer for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Serve in warm soup bowls and sprinkle with a dash of paprika.