Prep 0 mins
Cook 30 mins
From Kenneth H.C. Lo's Chinese cookbook. The base recipe is Casserole of Deep fried carrots, asapargus, bamboo shoots, and quick fried chinese cabbage and mushrooms. Warning the lily buds will give it a musky flavor that like the tofu [bean curd] is not Western taste but can be aquired. Hey I eat raw tofu now in a bit of dipping sauce. Also note you amy want to omit the lily buds or sub something else in for them.
- 1⁄3 lb asparagus
- 1⁄3 lb carrot
- 1⁄3 lb bamboo shoot
- 6 large dried Chinese mushrooms
- 1⁄2 lb Chinese cabbage or 1⁄2 lb green cabbage
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
sauce for casserole
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon soybean paste
- 1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 4 tablespoons vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons sherry wine
- 12 ounces bean curd
- 1⁄4 lb cellophane noodle
- 2 ounces dried lily buds, stems
- 1 -2 teaspoon cornstarch (optional)
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil (optional)
- Casserole: trim the asparagus, carrots and bamboo shoots to the same thickness as the asparagus and cut into 1-2 inch segments.
- Soak the dried mushrooms for 1/2 hour in hot water and then shred. Cut cabbage into 1 inch slices.
- Place 1st three in wire basket. Deep fry for 6 to 7 minutes. Drain.
- Heat butter and sesame oil in casserole. When butter melts add mushrooms and cook for 30 seconds then add the cabbage and the salt. Stir fry gently over med heat for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add deep fried vegetables and remaining ingredients. Increase heat to high and stir and turn vegetables for 3 to 4 minutes. Serve in casserole.
- NOTE: 2 ounces dried lily buds, stems should be 2 ounces lily bud stems. The zaar computer threw fits with the second version. It liked the first which makes no sense in the recipe.
- You can sub any hard vegetable for the asparagus. Use 4 tbsp soy sauce. Increase the broth to 12 tablespoons.
- Cube the tofu [after draining and pressing] into 1 inch cubes. Deep fry for 2 to 2 minutes with the other deep fry vegetables.
- Soak cellophane noodles in hot water for 5 minutes and drain. Cut buds into 2 inch long pieces and soak in 1 cup hot water for 1/2 hour with dried mushrooms [save the water].
- When the mushrooms, noodles and buds are soft, add to casserole with other vegetables along with the soaking water. Thicken if needed with cornstarch.
- Cook for 10 minutes covered in casserole.
- Sprinkle with the sherry and extra seseme oil.