Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This omlette is packed with healthy stuff, but is delicious and worth the time. Our weekend tradition is that one day, I make 'Momlettes' and the other, dh makes 'Mancakes' (fruit pancakes). The kids always enjoy their fancy weekend breakfasts. I use 'Morningstar Farms® Veggie Breakfast Bacon Strips' (we call it Facon) but if you want to have the fat and calories, you could use regular bacon. This recipe makes two really big Momlettes which can either be split (if for breakfast) or, if eaten whole may be brunch.
- 2 1⁄2 cups potatoes, shredded (1/2 of a 16 ounce bag of 365 Everyday Value Hashbrown potatoes)
- 3 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 cup bell pepper, chopped (we like using the pre-cut stoplight peppers from Whole Foods)
- 6 slices vegetarian bacon (Morningstar Farms Veggie Bacon Strips)
- 4 large eggs
- 1⁄2 cup skim milk
- 1⁄4 cup 2% cheddar cheese, shredded
- Prepare the hashbrown potatoes by cooking them in a large fry pan on medium heat, using most of the oil.
- (While the potatoes cook) in a separate small fry pan lightly brushed with oil, saute the onions and peppers until the onions are transparent.
- Prepare the Veggie Breakfast Bacon Strips as directed (I microwave them for just under 2 minutes as I like my strips crisp and just starting to get too dark).
- Crumble the 'bacon'.
- Beat the eggs with the milk.
- When they are cooked, mix the hash browns, onions and peppers and crumbled 'bacon' together (I put them in a bowl so I can use the large frypan for cooking the momlettes).
- Brush the large frypan with oil and pour half of the egg mixture into the pan, so it is covered with egg.
- Place on medium low heat and cook until firm.
- If the top of the egg seems to be cooking too slowly, you can either cover the pan to let it steam, or turn the egg over, if the bottom is firm enough.
- Sprinkle 1/8 C of the cheese on the egg.
- Spoon half of the potato, onion, pepper, 'bacon' mixture onto the egg.
- Slide the egg out of the pan onto a large plate, folding it over half way so it looks like an omlette.
- Repeat for second Momlette.
Amazing! We make it whenever we have time for a real breakfast!
absolutely delicious and filling! My picky 3 year old loved it too. We will definitely be having these again.