Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
From the book, THE MEATBALL SHOP COOKBOOK by Daniel Holzman and Michael Chernow. To pickle your own cherry peppers see Pickled Cherry Peppers. Serve with your favorite sauce.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 lbs pork shoulder, ground (I have the butcher gind it twice)
- 1 tablespoon salt plus 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 jarred hot cherry peppers, minced
- 1⁄4 cup hot cherry pepper pickling liquid
- 4 slices fresh white bread, minced
- 3 large eggs
- Preheat the oven to 450°F Drizzle the olive oil into a 9×13-inch baking dish and use your hand to evenly coat the entire surface. Set aside.
- Combine the ground pork, salt, cherry peppers, pickling liquid, bread and eggs in a large mixing bowl and mix by hand just until incorporated. Don't over do it or the meatballs will become tough.
- Roll the mixture into round, golf ball-size meatballs (about 1 1/2 inches).
- Place the meatballs in the prepared baking dish, being careful to line them up snugly and in even rows vertically and horizontally to form a grid. The meatballs should be touching one another.
- Roast for 20 minutes or until the meatballs are firm and cooked through. A meat thermometer inserted into the center of a meatball should read 165°F.
- Allow the meatballs to cool for 5 minutes in the baking dish before serving.