Recipe by Wilmom
The Market Fare was my tea room in Mt. Vernon, Texas. We were featured in THE BEST COUNTRY CAFES IN TEXAS. This soup is heartier than most borscht recipes, and was served as a winter soup occasionally at The Market Fare.
- 1 lb beef brisket, cut in 1-inch cubes
- 3 (15 ounce) canssliced beets, drained and chopped
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 stalk celery, cut into chunks
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 small head cabbage, shredded
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- The day before serving:.
- In covered large kettle over medium-low heeat, simmer together for 2 hours: 3 cups hot water (or roast drippings if you have them-these are tastier!), beef, drained beets, carrots, onion, celery, bay leaf and salt.
- Add tomato paste and sugar and simmer covered, 20 minutes.
- Discard bay leaf.
- About 20 minutes before serving:
- Skim fat from soup surface.
- Over medium heat, heat soup to boiling.
- Add cabbage and cook till tender, about 15 minutes.
- Stir in vinegar.
- Remove from heat and ladle into bowls.
- Serve, garnished with a dollop of sour cream.