Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
This was a staple at The Market Fare, in the winter months, particularly. As quickly as I could make it, it was gone--and we made everything fresh from scratch.
- 1⁄2 cup shredded carrot
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped celery
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk
- 3⁄4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 3⁄4 cup Velveeta cheese, cubed
- 1 cup beer
- In covered saucepan, saute carrot, onion and celery in butter, over low heat, stirring occasionally, till tender.
- Add flour, broth, and salt.
- Mix well.
- Increase heat to medium.
- Stir in milk, mix well.
- Stir in beer (you may use non-alcoholic beer--works just as well).
- Stirring constantly, cook till cheese melts and soup is heated through.
- DO NOT BOIL!
Oooohhhh, how I LOVE this soup! Not too thick, not too thin, Served with a nice crusty bread and a salad it is so delicious, I cant even begin to explain. One of my favorite soups!