Recipe by Marsha Hamner
This soup is almost addictive! Tried to find something to match the Puerto Vallarta but I think this may be better! LOVE IT!!!!
Top Review by Muffin Goddess
Very good tortilla soup! I tossed in some dried epazote (it's all I had) with the tortillas and garlic, and I saved the chopped fresh cilantro as a garnish. I made a few little changes: I had a half jalapeno in the fridge to use up, so I diced it and added it with the tortillas, garlic and epazote. I didn't have any canned tomato puree, so I subbed in El Pato Tomato Sauce instead. I got lazy at the end, so instead of frying my own tortilla strips, I added some premade tortilla chips for the garnish. I also squeezed a lime wedge over my bowl of soup. DH hasn't tried it yet (he ate earlier in the evening, and wasn't hungry when the soup was finished), but I'm sure he'll love it when he tries it. Thanks for posting! Made for PAC Fall 09
- 3 tablespoons corn oil
- 4 corn tortillas, coarsely chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, chopped fresh
- 1 cup onion, pureed, fresh
- 2 cups tomatoes, pureed fresh
- 1 tablespoon cumin, ground
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 tablespoons tomato puree, canned
- 2 quarts chicken stock
- cayenne pepper
- 1 cooked chicken breast, cut into strips
- 1 avocado, peeled, seeded and cubed
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 3 corn tortillas, cut in strips and fried until crisp
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Saute tortillas with garlic and epazote over medium heat until tortillas are soft.
- Add onion and fresh tomato puree and bring to a boil. Add cumin, chili powder, bay leaves, canned tomato puree and chicken stock. Bring to a boil again, then reduce heat to simmer. Add salt and cayenne pepper to taste, and cook stirring frequently for 30 minutes. Skim fat from surface, if necessary.
- Strain and pour into warm soup bowls. Garnish with an equal portion of chicken breast, avocado, shredded cheese and crisp tortilla strips. Serve Immediately.