Charlotte J's Note:
From the Machine Shed restaurant. The title is misleading, says baked but the potatoes are boiled. If you're driving by one, stop in and have a bite. There are 6 locations: Davenport, IA • Des Moines, IA • Lake Elmo, MN • Rockford, IL • Appleton, WI • Pewaukee, WI.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/2 lbs baby red potatoes, quartered
- 1/2 lb bacon, diced
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 1/4 bunch celery, diced
- 1 quart milk
- 1 quart water
- 2 tablespoons chicken base
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 3/4 cup margarine
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/4 bunch parsley, chopped
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1Place potatoes in lightly salted boiling water for 10 to 12 minutes or until tender.
- 2Drain, return to hot pan and set aside.
- 3In large, heavy pot, saute bacon, onion, and celery over medium-high heat until celery is tender.
- 4Drain grease and return bacon, onion, and celery to pot.
- 5Add milk, water, chicken base, salt and pepper.
- 6Heat over medium-high heat until very hot but do not let soup boil.
- 7In heavy, large saucepan over low heat, melt margarine.
- 8Stir in flour to make a roux.
- 9Mix well and let bubble, stirring constantly, for 1 minute.
- 10If desired, a larger amount of roux can be made to produce a thicker soup.
- 11Gradually add roux to soup, stirring constantly.
- 12Continue to cook, stirring, until thick and creamy.
- 13Stir in potatoes, parsley and whipping cream.
- 14Serve hot, garnished with shredded cheese, bacon bits and/or green onion.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for The Machine Shed Baked Potato Soup
Serving Size: 1 (513 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 732.6
- Calories from Fat 444
- Total Fat 49.4 g
- Saturated Fat 20.9 g
- Cholesterol 102.8 mg
- Sodium 984.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 57.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.4 g
- Sugars 3.0 g
- Protein 16.5 g