Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
From the Machine Shed restaurant. The title is misleading, says baked but the potatoes are boiled. If you're driving by one, stop in and have a bite. There are 6 locations: Davenport, IA • Des Moines, IA • Lake Elmo, MN • Rockford, IL • Appleton, WI • Pewaukee, WI.
- 2 1⁄2 lbs baby red potatoes, quartered
- 1⁄2 lb bacon, diced
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 1⁄4 bunch celery, diced
- 1 quart milk
- 1 quart water
- 2 tablespoons chicken base
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 3⁄4 cup margarine
- 3⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄4 bunch parsley, chopped
- 1 cup whipping cream
- colby cheese, shredded
- bacon bits, fried
- green onion, chopped
- Place potatoes in lightly salted boiling water for 10 to 12 minutes or until tender.
- Drain, return to hot pan and set aside.
- In large, heavy pot, saute bacon, onion, and celery over medium-high heat until celery is tender.
- Drain grease and return bacon, onion, and celery to pot.
- Add milk, water, chicken base, salt and pepper.
- Heat over medium-high heat until very hot but do not let soup boil.
- In heavy, large saucepan over low heat, melt margarine.
- Stir in flour to make a roux.
- Mix well and let bubble, stirring constantly, for 1 minute.
- If desired, a larger amount of roux can be made to produce a thicker soup.
- Gradually add roux to soup, stirring constantly.
- Continue to cook, stirring, until thick and creamy.
- Stir in potatoes, parsley and whipping cream.
- Serve hot, garnished with shredded cheese, bacon bits and/or green onion.
this soup is awesome , i DID use baked potatoes as i add a few extra when im baking for breakfast potatoes . this is so creamy i used sour cream and chive for cream, just a little ,because of my diet . great soup