Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This recipe came from Mazzoni's restaurant in Louisville kentucky. They made louisville famous for them
- Sift flour, baking powder and salt in a medium mixing bowl.
- Beat together egg and milk; add to flour mixture and mix well.
- Batter should be stiff, but if it is too stiff to coat the oysters, add additional milk.
- Beat until smooth.
- Put oysters in batter and stir to coat oysters well.
- Scoop up three oysters at a time and form them by hand into a croquette.
- Quickly roll croquette in cornmeal, covering it completely.
- Repeat with remaining oysters.
- After all croquettes have been formed, dip each again in batter and dust again with cornmeal.
- At this point, oysters can be refrigerated until time to fry them.
- Heat lard to 375°F in a deep fryer.
- Put 3 rolled oysters at a time in basket and lower into hot fat.
- The rolled oysters should cook on all sides; it may be necessary to turn them with a pancake turner.
- Cook through, about 3 to 4 minutes total cooking time.
- Drain on paper towels.