Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Aptly named. Great hearty food. True tried-and-loved recipe.
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 bottle beer
- 1 small Spanish onion
- 6 cups vegetable oil
- 1 lb cod, fillets
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- lemon, wedges
- tartar sauce
- Preheat deep-fryer to 360.
- whisk flour, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt and cayenne.
- Whisk in beer until smooth.
- Let stand for 15 minutes.
- peel onion.
- Cut into 1 cm thick slices.
- Separate into rings.
- In deep-fryer, pour in enough oil.
- Heat to 370.
- Using fork, dip 4 or 5 onion rings into batter; cook in oil for about 1 minute or until golden brown, turning halfway through.
- Using slotted spoon, transfer to paper towel-lined baking sheet.
- Keep warm.
- Repeat with remaining onions.
- Meanwhile, cut fillets into serving-size pieces.
- Dredge fish in flour; shake off excess.
- Dip fish into batter and fry in oil, turning once, until golden brown, about 7 minutes.
- Remove and drain on paper towel-lined baking sheet.
- Sprinkle with salt to taste.
- Serve with lemon wedges and tartar sauce.