Recipe by COOKGIRl
On the endangered species' list sadly.... Inspired by pictures of penguins as seen in The Gallery of Regrettable Food. What a fine piece of literature! Museum quality photography, too!
- 6 hard-boiled eggs
- 12 -16 whole black olives, approximately
- 1 carrots or 1 orange bell pepper
- 6 toothpicks
Directions See How It's Made
- Hard boil the eggs. Drain, set aside to cool then peel.
- BODY: Cut a small slice off the wide end of each egg. (Cut the slice so that the penguin can stand up on its own.).
- FLIPPERS: Slice three olives in quarters lengthwise. Cut a small slit down each side of the "body" of an egg and insert one olive piece on each side.
- CHEST: Cut approximately 1/2" sliver of black olive lengthwise. Make a tiny slit down the middle of the hard boiled egg and carefully insert the olive sliver.
- HEAD: Place one toothpick down the center of the top (narrow end) of each hard boiled egg. Attach the whole olive with the hole in the center of the penguin's face.
- NOSE: cut six small triangular pieces of carrot or bell pepper-large enough so that it will fit snugly in the olive hole and not fall out. Place the carrot or bell pepper piece in the olive hole.
- To serve, arrange the endangered penguins on an irregularly shaped piece of styrofoam.