Recipe by Jamie Renee
This is the tastiest red enchilada sauce I have ever had! I could literally just eat it with a spoon. The secret is cocoa powder, do not miss that step! I found it on the Texas Monthly cooking forum. A lot of times I double the recipe since its so good. Serve it over enchiladas, burritos, or grab a straw! Its scrumptious!!
Top Review by dmlove101
I LOVE this recipe! LOVE IT! LOVE IT! LOVE IT! I've made it exactly like it says and it came out great! I now cut the recipe in half & it comes out great too! I just made it tonight and since I've had a cold I added some adobo seasoning from Penzey's Spices & it was so awesome. Everyone raved at how it tasted like they were at a Mexican restaurant! This recipe is so easy & it just tastes so good!
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon chicken bouillon
- 1 teaspoon cocoa powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 3 cups water
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine all dry ingredients in a small bowl.
- Stirring constantly, slowly add enough of the water to make a thin paste.
- Pour into pan and add rest of water.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens.
- Stir in tomato sauce.
- Use in your favorite enchilada recipe.
- The amounts on the ingredients are very flexible.
- For instance, if I am feeding my kids who do not like"spicy", I will halve the chili powder and double the tomato sauce.
- Experiment to suit your taste, but don't leave out the cocoa.