The Lasagna That Will Win Them Over
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In large skillet, brown turkey, beef with onions, garlic, and red bell pepper. Drain and set aside.
- In dutch oven, or other large pot, add all canned tomato and meat mixture. Begin adding seasonings except salt and pepper. The seasonings are really to your taste, but you'll want to start out with at least a teaspoon of each. Let simmer on low to med-low heat, stirring occasionally, for about an hour. After about 30 minutes, taste to check seasonings. At the one hour mark, add salt and pepper to taste and any additional seasonings. Keep heat on low while preparing rest of dish.
- In a large mixing bowl, add ricotta, mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses. Stir gently until fairly well mixed. Add two eggs and stir gently until well mixed. I also add some garlic, basil, thyme and oregano to the cheese mixture.
- Spray large lasagna/casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray. Begin layering by adding about 1/4 of the sauce/meat mixture on bottom. Next, layer noodles, then spread half of cheese mixture over noodles. Another layer of sauce, followed by noodles and rest of cheese. Top with sauce, another layer of noodles and more sauce. You may top with mozzarella and Parmesan cheese.
- Place lasagna dish on a large baking pan to help with spillage. Cover with foil and bake for 1 hour. Remove foil after 1 hour and continue baking for another 15 minutes, or until cheese is golden brown.
- Let stand for 15 minutes before serving.