Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
A true Southern delicacy from the landmark Savannah restaurant, "The Lady and Sons". To really be authentic, drizzle warm honey over the chicken. From "The Lady & Sons Savannah Country Cookbook" by Paula H. Deen.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Melt butter in a 10 x 15-inch baking pan.
- In a shallow dish, combine buttermilk and egg.
- In another dish combine flour, pecans, salt, paprika, pepper, and sesame seeds.
- Dip chicken in buttermilk, then in flour.
- Place skin side down in melted butter.
- Turn to coat and leave skin side up.
- Sprinkle with pecan halves.
- Bake for 1 1/4 hours.
Awesome recipe! To help the crust stick to the chicken put the "breaded" chicken on a cookie rack to air-dry on both sides for 20-30 minutes before baking...works everytime!
I thought this "crust" was great, but had trouble getting it to "stick" to the chicken..I may dust in a little plain flour next time before putting in the egg mixture. I used Boneless Skinless chicken thighs a breasts, kept the meat moist and tender....A great idea for a special dinner. Use the blender to whizz your pecans or they dont really get fine enough, IMHO.
This was wonderful! It was very quick to throw together. Mine only took an hour to cook though, not and hour and 15 mins. If you make this, you MUST drizzle the honey on top. It made a superb dish divine. I will absolutely make this again!