- 4 slices bacon, diced into small pieces
- 1 small onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (15 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon chicken base or 1 tablespoon chicken bouillon
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 cups fresh okra, cut into 1 inch pieces (may use frozen)
- fresh ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook bacon slightly; saute onion and garlic with bacon until tender.
- Add tomatoes, chicken base, sugar and pepper; stir well and let simmer for about 20 minutes; adjust seasoning if needed.
- Meanwhile wash okra and remove fuzz, if using fresh okra, cut into pieces; add okra and simmer until okra is done, about 20 more minutes (less if using frozen), serve.