Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
We love okra and tomatoes, this recipe is a lot like my Mom use to make. The Recipe comes from courtesy Paula Deen.
- 4 slices bacon, diced into small pieces
- 1 small onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (15 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon chicken base or 1 tablespoon chicken bouillon
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 cups fresh okra, cut into 1 inch pieces (may use frozen)
- fresh ground black pepper
- Cook bacon slightly; saute onion and garlic with bacon until tender.
- Add tomatoes, chicken base, sugar and pepper; stir well and let simmer for about 20 minutes; adjust seasoning if needed.
- Meanwhile wash okra and remove fuzz, if using fresh okra, cut into pieces; add okra and simmer until okra is done, about 20 more minutes (less if using frozen), serve.
The whole family enjoyed this. From the okra haters to the okra lovers. And not too hard to put together
Very good!! Made numerous times to the recipe.