Recipe by Pianolady
I saw Paula Deen make this today and had to run out and get the ingredients to try it. WOW -- this is fantastic lasagna. I couldn't wait to share, and I hope you love it too!!
Top Review by rkane0422_3533988
I made this for my boyfriend last night and he loved it. It was my first time making lasagna, so there are a few things I learned in the process. First, the sauce was runny, so I do recommend the cornstarch and water. Second, I had to turn up the heat the last five minutes to get the crusty top that I like. I recommend letting it set for 20 min after it comes out of the oven, because that let it set. Overall great lasagna though!
- 2 cups canned diced tomatoes
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup onion, diced
- 1⁄2 cup green bell pepper, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, diced
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons italian seasoning
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons house seasoning (full recipe is 1 cup salt, 1/4 cup black pepper and 1/4 cup garlic powder mixed)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons seasoning salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 9 lasagna noodles (6 to 9 long strips)
- 12 ounces cottage cheese or 12 ounces ricotta cheese
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 cup gruyere cheese, grated
- 1 cup swiss cheese, grated
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, grated
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- To make the sauce: In a stockpot, combine the tomatoes, tomato sauce, water, onions, peppers, garlic, parsley, seasoning mixtures, sugar and bay leaves.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for 1 hour.
- Crumble the ground beef in a saucepan.
- Cook until no pink remains, then drain off the fat.
- Add the ground beef to the stockpot.
- Simmer for another 20 minutes.
- While the sauce simmers, cook the pasta according to the package directions.
- If the sauce is too thin for your taste, you can thicken it up at this time by mixing 1 tablespoon of cornstarch and 1/4 cup cold water-- bring the sauce back to a boil and stir in the cornstarch mixture, stirring constantly.
- Remove the bay leaves.
- Preheat the oven to 350º F.
- Mix together the cottage cheese with the 1 beaten egg and the 1/2 cup grated Parmesan Cheese.
- To assemble the lasagna: Place a thin layer of sauce in the bottom of a 9" x 13" x 2" pan.
- Layer 1/3 each of noodles, cottage cheese mixture, Gruyere, Swiss and Cheddar Cheeses.
- Pinch off small pieces of cream cheese and dot over the other cheeses.
- Add another layer of sauce.
- Repeat layering 2 to 3 times, ending with sauce.
- This may be covered and refrigerated at this point.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and top with the Mozarella Cheese and continue to bake for another 10 to 15 minutes.
- Note: If the lasagna has been refrigerated, bake for 40 minutes total.