Prep 5 mins
Cook 12 mins
The lady and sons in Paula Deen's restaurant in Savannah Georgia. These hoecakes are free and on every table
- 1 cup self rising flour
- 1 cup self-rising cornmeal
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄3 cup water, plus
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1⁄2 cup bacon grease
- 2 cups vegetable oil
- mix all ingriedients except oil.
- heat oil in a skillet over medium heat.
- drop mixture by spoonfuls into hot oil.
- use about two tablespoons of batter per hoecake.
- brown until crisp and turn and brown on other side, about two minutes on each side.
- drain on paper towels or brown paper bag.