Recipe by evelyn/athens
Sizzling with flavour! This Tex-Mex Burger has a lot of taste appeal and the visual isn't half-bad, either. Your mouth will explode with the flavours of spicy-hot Tex-Mex cuisine, tempered with a guacamole dressing. Members of the Kitchen Tourists suggested ingredients suitable for this delectable treat and so: Ed&Theresa - avocado; Muffin Goddess - lime; MA HIKER - hot sauce; fluffernutter - chipotle in adobo; Melody Ashcraft - tomato; Mandy from Oz - scallions; Laffer - cilantro; ms.susan - chili powder; TansGram - monterey jack cheese; and I provided the pickled jalapeno rings as per Pickled Jalapeno Rings. I'm sure you'll agree that these ingredients all came together sublimely to make the best burger ever. I would also like to thank Rita L, without whom this burger would just not have been possible. If Rita hadn't sent me a tin of chipotle in adobo last Fall, and if I hadn't frozen what I hadn't used then, this burger would just not have been possible! THANK YOU RITA!!! (this recipe is based on one I have already posted but seriously adapted)
Top Review by Jewelies
Fabulous, just love the Guacamole dressing and will be using this as a dip in the near future. For any Aussies/Kiwi's I substituted the chipotle in adobo with 1 tablespoon of ketchup mixed with 1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke and a teaspoon of jarred pickled jalapenos. For the chili powder in the burger mix I used a dried chipotle powder that I purchased online in Australia. The result was a fabulous, smoky, flavoursome burger. Well done Kitchen Tourists.
- 1 avocado
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 3 teaspoons fresh lime juice (or 2 tsps fresh lemon juice)
- 1 dash hot sauce (not too much, more heat will come with the minced chipotle)
- 1 plum tomato, seeded and chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced chipotle chile in adobo
- 1⁄4 cup thinly sliced scallion
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro, to taste
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 4 slices monterey jack cheese or 4 slices cheddar cheese
- 4 whole wheat hamburger buns, we like them toasted on the grill (if you can get bakery, seeded rolls, so much the better)
- pickled jalapeno pepper, rings (store bought or Pickled Jalapeno Rings)
- 4 buttery-crisp lettuce leaves
Directions See How It's Made
- Halve, pit and peel avocado.
- Mash ¼ of avocado with a fork; add mayonnaise, lemon juice, hot sauce and salt to taste; mash with back of fork until smooth.
- Stir in tomato, chipotle, scallion, cilantro, and remaining avocado, cut into ¼ inch cubes and fold together gently but thoroughly. Cover surface with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Mix chili powder, cumin, oregano and salt into beef. Handling beef as little as possible, divide it into quarters; shape each quarter into a patty.
- Heat a well-seasoned, ridged, cast-iron pan over moderately-high heat (or grill on bbq) until hot and cook the hamburgers 5 ½ minutes per side for rare.
- Top with cheese slices and cook, covered, for 1 minute, to melt cheese.
- Transfer to a plate and let stand, tented loosely with foil, for 3 minutes, to finish cooking.
- Transfer to hamburger buns; top with guacamole dressing, sliced, pickled jalapeno rings (to taste) and lettuce.