Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
This soup is always a winner. Perfect on a cold winter's night for entertaining, or week nights for the family. Based on a recipe by New Zealander, Digby Law.
- 1 kg butternut squash
- 4 1⁄2 cups chicken stock
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 6 spring onions, sliced
- 4 tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 300 ml cream
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- black pepper, freshly ground, to taste
- whipped cream, extra, to garnish
- chopped chives (to garnish)
- Peel, remove seeds and cut the pumpkin into medium sized chunks.
- Place in a medium to large saucepan along with chicken stock, chopped onion, sliced spring onions, and peeled and chopped tomatoes.
- Simmer until vegetables are tender, then puree in a blender or food processor.
- Return vegetable puree to saucepan.
- Add cream, lemon juice, curry powder and brown sugar, and season to taste with salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Reheat to blend, but do not boil.
- Serve hot or chilled with whipped cream and chives to garnish.