Recipe by Izzy Knight
A to-die-for brunch special adapted from The Jefferson Inn, NY. Our family has long been a fan of this easy recipe; it's usually made saturday night and baked for sunday brunch. The aroma will wake you little ones up for sure. ps. Prep time includes overnight in the freezer
Top Review by HeatherFeather
I thought this was outstanding. The pepper gives it a nice zing and the topping gives it a nice crisp top. I halved the recipe down to 6 servings and used the same cooking time. I also used a red pepper in place of green, as that was what I had on hand.
- white bread, with crusts removed
- prosciutto or ham slices
- sharp cheddar cheese, sliced or shredded
- 6 eggs
- 3 cups milk
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄4 cup shopped green pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 -2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 dash Tabasco sauce
- 1⁄4 lb melted butter
- corn flakes or Special K cereal, cereals
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Grease 9"x13" pan.
- Layer pan with bread, ham, cheese, then bread again (like a sandwich).
- Spread chopped onion and green pepper on top.
- Place milk in bowl or blender, add eggs and spices, then beat together.
- Pour mixture over strata and cover.
- Refrigerate overnight or freeze (if frozen, thaw in fridge overnight).
- Before baking, pour melted butter and crushed cornflakes on top.
- Bake for 1 hour.
- Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
- Cut in 12 portions.