Prep 12 hrs
Cook 1 hr
A to-die-for brunch special adapted from The Jefferson Inn, NY. Our family has long been a fan of this easy recipe; it's usually made saturday night and baked for sunday brunch. The aroma will wake you little ones up for sure. ps. Prep time includes overnight in the freezer
- white bread, with crusts removed
- prosciutto or ham slices
- sharp cheddar cheese, sliced or shredded
- 6 eggs
- 3 cups milk
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄4 cup shopped green pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 -2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 dash Tabasco sauce
- 1⁄4 lb melted butter
- corn flakes or Special K cereal, cereals
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Grease 9"x13" pan.
- Layer pan with bread, ham, cheese, then bread again (like a sandwich).
- Spread chopped onion and green pepper on top.
- Place milk in bowl or blender, add eggs and spices, then beat together.
- Pour mixture over strata and cover.
- Refrigerate overnight or freeze (if frozen, thaw in fridge overnight).
- Before baking, pour melted butter and crushed cornflakes on top.
- Bake for 1 hour.
- Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
- Cut in 12 portions.
I thought this was outstanding. The pepper gives it a nice zing and the topping gives it a nice crisp top. I halved the recipe down to 6 servings and used the same cooking time. I also used a red pepper in place of green, as that was what I had on hand.
Have had this before, and is good. I found it needed longer than 1 hour to cook, however, and I used a convection oven.