Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is posted in response to a request. This salad is absolutely delicious. It's a popular menu item at the Houstonian Hotel.
- 2 head romaine lettuce, washed and torn into 1 1/2 by 1/2 inch pieces
- 177.44 ml cooked black beans
- 177.44 ml roasted corn kernel
- 118.29 ml pumpkin seeds, from a mexican squash (pepitas)
- 118.29 ml Cotija cheese (Mexican white cheese) or 118.29 ml other queso fresco
- multicolored tortilla chips, baked or fried,for garnish
Spicy Caesar Dressing
- 1 egg yolk
- 14.79 ml minced garlic
- 9.85 ml Dijon mustard
- 2 anchovy fillets, minced
- 7.39 ml fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 1.23 ml salt
- 2.46 ml ground coriander
- 2.46 ml ground cumin
- 4.92 ml Worcestershire sauce
- 9.85 ml cold water
- 118.29 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 118.29 ml canola oil
- 22.18 ml thai chili paste
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1 lime, juice of
- 44.37 ml freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Prepare dressing first.
- In the bowl of a food processor, combine yolk, garlic, mustard, anchovies, pepper, salt, coriander, cumin, Worcestershire and water.
- Process all until smooth.
- With motor running, pour oils in a slow, steady stream into egg mixture.
- When all oil has been incorporated, add chili paste, lemon and lime juices and Parmesan.
- Process until smooth.
- Prepare salad next.
- Spin or pat lettuce dry.
- Place in large salad bowl.
- Add dressing; toss lightly.
- Add beans and corn; toss again.
- Divide mixture among 4 chilled plates.
- Sprinkle with pumpkin seeds and cheese.
- Garnish with tortilla chips.
Our favorite salad at home and at the restaurant. I like to serve it with grilled chicken breasts or grilled shrimp for a one-dish summer supper.
A delicious salad--lovely dressing. I made two salads--one with black beans and pepitas, one with hominy (pozole) and no pepitas. Followed the dressing instructions exactly. Great salad both ways. The second time I used feta (out of queso fresca)and it was also great. Thanks, Nan!
This salad is absolutely scrumptious and will become a regular at my house. I had to leave out the pumpkin seeds (couldn't find them) and the anchovy fillets (personal taste) but the rest I pretty much prepared as written. I brushed a fresh ear of corn with olive oil then grilled it and cut off the kernels and I used canned black beans. Also, I did use a little less chili paste per my husband's wishes (but I added more to my portion because I like it hot). The crushed tortilla chips on top are a must, they really contrast nicely with the salad. Thanks for posting this Nan, it's a keeper!