Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
Supposed to be a reasonable duplication of the Hot Hamburger served at Murphy’s Original Steak House, Bartlesville, OK. I’ve never eaten there, but this looks like my kind of food.
Top Review by Chef GreanEyes
THANK YOU, thank you, thank you for reminding me of HOT HAMBURGERS!!! Its been years since I've had one. They have to be one of the best diner/comfort foods ever!! Use texas toast for the bread is my preferred choice. sometimes i will slip a piece of american cheese in to make a hot cheeseburger. thanks for posting! :D
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons oil
- 3 large yellow onions, thinly sliced
- 1 cup beef gravy (homemade)
- 1 lb ground beef, shaped into 2 burgers
- 4 cups frozen shoe-string French fries
- 2 slices white bread, toasted
Directions See How It's Made
- In a skillet, heat butter or oil; add in onions; fry over medium heat until they are soft and golden brown.
- Prepare gravy and keep warm.
- Grill or fry hamburgers to desired degree of doneness.
- Cook french fries in the oven according to package directions.
- Right before the burgers and fries are done, toast the bread; place 1 slice on each of 2 plates.
- Remove fries from oven and place half on each slice of toast.
- Cut each burger into bite-size pieces and place on top of fries.
- Ladle ½ cup gravy over each serving, top each with half the fried onions, and serve immediately.