Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
From the Camberley Brown Hotel, Louisville, Kentucky.
Top Review by Stacky5
Thank you so much for posting this, NurseDi! I LOVE these open-faced sandwiches but never knew how to make them. I live right across the river from Louisville, KY so I can attest to just how delicious these Hot Browns are! Thanks so much for these easy-to-follow directions... Stacy :)
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 4 cups milk
- 6 tablespoons fresh grated parmesan cheese
- 1 egg, beaten and at room temperature
- 1 ounce whipping cream, whipped (optional)
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 12 slices white bread, toasted
- 2 1⁄2-3 lbs thinly sliced roast turkey
- fresh grated parmesan cheese
- 12 slices bacon, cooked crisp and drained
Directions See How It's Made
- To make the sauce: In a saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat.
- Whisk in the flour to make a thick roux.
- While whisking constantly, gradually add the milk; cook slowly, whisking frequently, for 5-10 minutes to remove any taste of raw flour.
- Whisk in parmesan cheese; let the mixture cool slightly.
- Add in the egg; place saucepan back on burner; stir until sauce is thickened (do not let sauce boil or it will curdle).
- Remove from heat; fold in whipped cream if desired; set aside and keep warm.
- To make sandwiches: Preheat broiler.
- For each sandwich: place 2 slices of toast on a flameproof plate.
- Cover with a liberal amount of turkey.
- Pour a generous amount of sauce over the turkey and toast.
- Sprinkle with additional grated parmesan cheese.
- Place the dish under the broiler until the sauce is speckled brown and bubbly.
- Remove from oven; cross two pieces of bacon over the top and serve immediately.