Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
I've looked all over for inspiration! When my mother was in the hospital for by-pass surgery, I picked up a handout for heart healthy bran muffins. It became the basis for this recipe, but I've added a number of very healthy additions. Customize this as you wish: choose different nuts, add raisins, dates, dried apricots... make them your own!
- 1 cup oat bran
- 1⁄2 cup wheat germ
- 1⁄2 cup flax seed meal
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon vital gluten
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup hemp seeds (aka hemp hearts)
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 2 tablespoons buckwheat groats
- 1⁄2 cup pecans, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup dried cranberries
- 1⁄2 cup prune, chopped
- 1 cup milk
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- Preheat oven to 350º F. Line muffin tins with paper muffin cups.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all the dry ingredients, including nuts and fruits.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine all the wet ingredients (milk, eggs, vanilla and oil).
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and add the wet ingredients. Mix only until the dry ingredients are moistened.
- Fill the muffin cups about 2/3 full and bake for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out dry.
I'm not too sure how I feel about the buckwheat groats because of their texture, but overall a fantastic tasting muffin.
I made a few substitutions: raisins instead of cranberries, walnuts instead of pecans, and I can't get vital gluten, so I put in a tsp of tapioca startch and an extra bit of egg.
I can't wait to eat another one tomorrow!