Prep 20 mins
Cook 5 mins
When ordering General Tso's Chicken at the restaruant, the chicken is typically double deep-fried. This recipe is definitely a healthier version with the same ooie gooie sauce.
- 3 tablespoons chinese rice wine or 3 tablespoons dry sherry
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1⁄4 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce, regular
- 1 tablespoon dark soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 6 small dried red chilies, whole
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons ginger, minced
- 2 green onions, cut into 1-inch lengths
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried red chili, crushed
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cornstarch, dissolved in
- 1 tablespoon water
- Combine rice wine, oyster sauce, 2 tsp cornstarch & mix well. Add chicken & toss to coat. Let stand for 10 minutes.
- Combine broth, vinegar, soy sauces, sugar, and sesame oil in a small bowl.
- Place a wok over high heat until hot. Add oil, swirling to coat sides. Add whole chilies and stir-fry for until fragrant. Add chicken and stir-fry for 2 minutes. Add garlic, ginger, green onions, and crushed chilies. Stir-fry for another minute.
- Add sauce to chicken and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add cornstarch solution and cook, stirring, until sauce boils and thickens.
- Serve with white rice.
I was really glad to find this recipe, since my husband loves this stuff and I'm trying to get him to eat healthier. Double deep fried! I knew the regular version was bad for you but I didn't know it was that bad ;) Anyway, my husband really liked it. I added 1/2 teaspoon five spice powder, just because I had it on hand, and I used low-sodium soy sauce. Thanks for a great recipe!
This was a very good recipe and i'll make it again, but I didn't think that the sauce tasted like general Tso's sauce. Still, it was very good and because of the dark thigh meat, it wasn't dried out at all. Also, very quick to make. I was also able to use less cooking oil to reduce the fat even further. Thanks!