Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 hrs
nothing makes a better burrito than using homemade beans!! use them whole or follow the directions to make refried beans.
- 2 1⁄2 cups pinto beans
- 1 lb bacon, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1⁄2 a bell pepper, diced
- 2 roma tomatoes, diced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 sliced jalapenos
- sort out any dark, oddly shaped or broken beans and rinse beans well.
- cover beans in water in a stock pot and bring to a boil, drain.
- cover with water again, about 2” above beans.
- add all remaining ingredients except salt. (you can use less bacon if prefered).
- bring to a boil; reduce heat to low and simmer covered until beans are soft.
- add more water only if necessary; boil for approximately 2.5 - 3 hours.
- the last half hour check often, the beans will start to stick to the bottom of the pot when they’re done.
- season with sea salt to taste.
- to make refried beans take 4 cups beans and strain out excess juice.
- heat 2 tbs vegetable oil in a skillet.
- add beans and start mashing & stirring rapidly until beans are almost smooth. try with my steak picado recipe for a fantastic burrito!
Delicious!!! I made this for My 3 Chefs June 2012 tag game and I did soak my beans over night but then I followed the rest of the instructions...I couldn't believe how easy and how delicious these were!!! Definately a keeper and one I will use again and again...not only for refried beans but just for a starter for other dishes. Thank you for posting. (putting this into my Favorites of 2012).