2 hrs 10 mins
nothing makes a better burrito than using homemade beans!! use them whole or follow the directions to make refried beans.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1sort out any dark, oddly shaped or broken beans and rinse beans well.
- 2cover beans in water in a stock pot and bring to a boil, drain.
- 3cover with water again, about 2” above beans.
- 4add all remaining ingredients except salt. (you can use less bacon if prefered).
- 5bring to a boil; reduce heat to low and simmer covered until beans are soft.
- 6add more water only if necessary; boil for approximately 2.5 - 3 hours.
- 7the last half hour check often, the beans will start to stick to the bottom of the pot when they’re done.
- 8season with sea salt to taste.
- 9to make refried beans take 4 cups beans and strain out excess juice.
- 10heat 2 tbs vegetable oil in a skillet.
- 11add beans and start mashing & stirring rapidly until beans are almost smooth. try with my steak picado recipe for a fantastic burrito!
Browse Our Top North American Recipes
Nutritional Facts for The Greatest Pinto Beans
Serving Size: 1 (74 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 15
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 185.5
- Calories from Fat 125
- Total Fat 13.9 g
- Saturated Fat 4.5 g
- Cholesterol 20.5 mg
- Sodium 261.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 8.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.0 g
- Sugars 0.5 g
- Protein 6.3 g