Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
From Julie Backus' "Italian Cooking"
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 lbs assorted fresh vegetables (beans, carrots, string beans, celery, mushrooms, chard, cabbage, onions)
- 1 cup white beans, soaked for 24 hours
- 4 tomatoes, ripe
- 2 eggs
- Wash vegetables.
- Cut vegetables into medium pieces.
- Steam vegetables with butter until tender.
- Add water (to cover) and beans.
- Season to taste.
- When ready to serve, beat two egg whites until stiff in a serving bowl.
- Add egg yolks to the soup with some additional butter.
- Pour boiling soup on top of egg whites.
- Garnish with parmesan cheese.