Prep 15 mins
Cook 13 mins
Put your hunger under with this piled-high here's-the-beef-dazzler of a sandwich.
- 1⁄2 of a small onion
- 1 (4 1/2 ounce) jar sliced mushrooms
- 1 (17 ounce) packagerefrigerated cooked beef roast au jus sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning, crushed
- 5 hoagie rolls or 5 hamburger buns, split
- 5 slices provolone cheese or 5 slices mozzarella cheese
- On a cutting board use a sharp knife to cut the onion into very small pieces. Open the jar of mushrooms. Place a colander or strainer into the sink. Empty mushrooms into colander and let the liquid drain into the sink. Save onion and mushrooms until Step 3.
- Use scissors to cut open the meat package. Carefully pour the meat and juices into a large bowl. Use 2 forks to break the meat up into small pieces.
- Pour the meat and juices into a saucepan. Add the onion, mushrooms, and Italian seasoning to the meat mixture. Put saucepan on a burner. Turn burner to medium-high heat. Cook for 10 minutes or until mixture is hot, stirring now and then with a wooden spoon. Turn off burner. Remove saucepan from burner.
- Turn on a broiler. Place both halves of the buns , cut sides up, on a baking sheet or broiler pan; broil 3 to 4 inches from the heat for 1 to 2 minutes or until toasted. Use hot pads to remove pan from oven. Set buns tops aside. Use a stotted spoon to spoon the meat mixture onto the bun bottoms. Top each with a chees slice. Use hot pads to place baking sheet under broiler again. Broil about 1 minute or until cheese melts. Remove pan from oven and add bun tops.