Recipe by Wendy's Kitchen
Here is a fantastic meat pie recipe. The filling also makes a great pasta sauce. I have a pie maker which I use to bake the pie, however I have given instructions for baking the pie in the oven. If you have a pie maker just place pastry in bottom pie shape fill with filling, place pastry lid on top and let the pie maker do all the work. I don't bother with the egg when using the pie maker. Do not use the conflour to thicken if you are using the filling as a pasta sauce.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 650 g minced steak
- 1 cup beef stock
- 1⁄4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄4 cup tomato sauce (ketchup)
- 425 g tomato puree
- 1⁄4 cup frozen peas (optional)
- 2 tablespoons cornflour
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 sheets frozen shortcrust pastry, thawed
- 2 sheets frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in pan, add onion and garlic stirring until soft.
- Add meat and cook until browned.
- Add stock, sauces and puree. Bring to boil and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Stir through peas and conflour blended with water, bring to the boil and boil for 2 minutes until thickened.
- Cut 8 12cm circles from shortcrust pastry. Line 8 greased pie tins with pastry, lightly prick with a fork. Cover with non-stick baking paper and fill with rice to blind bake in 200°C oven for 8 minutes. (Place pie tins on baking sheets).
- Remove paper and rice and bake a further 6 minutes. Cool.
- Divide filling mixture amongst shells and then cut out 8 10cm rounds from the puff pastry.
- Brush edges of pies with egg and press pastry lids on top. Cut two slits on top to allow steam to escape. Brush tops with egg.
- Cook in 190°F oven for a further 20 minutes.