Recipe by Missy Wombat
Contemplating making a Pie Floater? Well here is the recipe for the pie. Posted in response to a request for Aussie recipes. Times are guesses.
Top Review by Kit^..^ty Of Canada
These were exactly what we were looking for. We would buy homemade ones at a caterers near the cottage. She has since pasted & so has the recipe. Thank you for the recipe Missy Wombat. Will be making these for years to come.
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 1⁄2 lbs beef or 1 1⁄2 lbs sheep mince
- 2 beef bouillon cubes
- salt and pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 1⁄4 cup of extra water
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 small onion
- frozen pie crust (top and bottom)
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown mince.
- Add onion finely diced and brown.
- Drain off fat.
- Add stock cubes crumbled, 1-½ cups of water, salt and pepper and stir until boiling.
- Reduce heat and cover, simmering for an additional 30 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- In a cup combine flour and extra water and stir until smooth.
- Add flour mixture to meat and stir until combined.
- Return to heat, stir until it comes to a boil and is thickened.
- Add Worcestershire sauce.
- Simmer uncovered for 10 minutes then remove from heat and refrigerate.
- Once cool fill in bottom of piecrust.
- Put top on and pierce the centre with a knife.
- Combine egg yolk with a bit of water and brush over the top.
- Follow directions on frozen pie crusts or bake at 400 for 5 minutes (or until golden brown) then reduce heat to moderate (200) and cook for an additional 10 minutes.