This is a great way to use up leftover turkey after Thanksgiving that you're tired of trying to disguise into an non-turkey meal. I used a green enchilada sauce and omitted the tomatoes, but I've heard other people do a combination of green and red sauce and some say if you are using plum tomatoes to stick with a red sauce. You definitely want to soften the tortillas in oil. This recipe is a winner. Recipe courtesy of Epicurious.com and Bon Appetit November 1998.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 44.37 ml vegetable oil
- 118.29 ml vegetable oil
- 414.03 ml onions, finely chopped
- 793.78 g enchilada sauce
- 5 plum tomatoes, finely chopped
- 7.39 ml chipotle chiles, finely chopped
- 236.59 ml cilantro, chopped
- 709.77 ml turkey (coarsely shredded and cooked)
- 473.18 ml monterey jack cheese, grated
- 177.44 ml sour cream
- 12 corn tortillas (5 to 6 inch)
- 1Heat 3 tablespoons oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- 2Add 1 1/2 cups onions and saute until tender, about 5 minutes.
- 3Add enchilada sauce, tomatoes, and chipotles.
- 4Cover and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring often.
- 5Remove from heat.
- 6Stir in 1/2 cup cilantro.
- 7Season sauce with salt and pepper.
- 8Mix turkey, 1 1/2 cups cheese, sour cream, 1/4 cup onions, and 1/2 cup cilantro in bowl.
- 9Season with salt and pepper.
- 10Preheat oven to 350.
- 11Heat 1/2 cup vegetable oil in medium skillet over medium heat.
- 12Cook 1 tortilla until pliable, about 20 seconds per side.
- 13Drain on paper towels.
- 14Repeat with remaining tortillas.
- 15Spread 1/2 cup sauce in 13x9x2 inch glass baking dish.
- 16Spoon 1/4 cup turkey mixture in center of each tortilla.
- 17Roll up tortillas.
- 18Arrange seam side down in dish.
- 19Spoon 2 1/2 cups sauce over enchiladas.
- 20Sprinkle with 1/2 cup cheese.
- 21Bake enchiladas until heated through, about 30 minutes.
- 22Rewarm remaining sauce in saucepan over medium-low heat.
- 23Transfer to sauceboat.
- 24Serve enchiladas, passing sauce separately.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for The Great After-Thanksgiving Turkey Enchiladas
Serving Size: 1 (373 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 602.9
- Calories from Fat 392
- Total Fat 43.5 g
- Saturated Fat 13.9 g
- Cholesterol 48.4 mg
- Sodium 1399.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 40.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.7 g
- Sugars 13.8 g
- Protein 15.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: